Bioinformatics & Stitch in Biomolecular Sciences
This Summer, no one gets left behind! A quirky, blueberry-coloured Hound Dog has been found on a beach at Costa da Caparica. Its tag reads Experiment 626 and the capsule is broken. We have extracted its DNA, but before studying it we must now learn more about bioinformatics and how to handle this data so that we can send them everything and manage to keep their Suspicious Minds at bay! As state-of-the-art computational approaches simplify the analysis of large batches of samples or multiple endpoints, researchers from related areas can now discover intricate networks of genes, phylogenetic relationships between species, infer on the structure of proteins or other molecules and identify the causal agents of disease. The present course aims at guiding students through these methods using a theory-plus-practice hands-on strategy open to graduate and undergraduate students of every background and expertise within life and biomolecular science. If you Can’t Help Falling in Love with good cuisine, the sand between your toes and the sun kissing your face, come and stay at our Heartbreak Hotel and help us solve this mystery. Come aboard the spaceship and join us on this incredible adventure to ensure the future of the Earth is not compromised! And remember, if you come across any member of the Galactic Federation, the mosquitoes must be protected!
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Biology , Computational Sciences , Mathematics , Medicine/Dental Medicine , Pharmacy
- Content and topics:
- The course consist of a variety of classes focused on Bioinformatics in biomolecular sciences and multiple fields of applications that these can have in different types of industries. The present course aims at guiding students through these methods using a theory-plus-practice hands-on strategy open to graduate and undergraduate students of every background and expertise within life and biomolecular science.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The goals of this course are to equip students with comprehensive bioinformatics in biomolecular sciences knowledge, practical skills, and critical thinking to tackle real-world problems across diverse fields. One of the main goals as well is to foster adaptability and collaboration.
- Examination type:
- Group presentation and discussion of an assignment within a subject of choice using at least one tool taught in the course.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational Letter and three open questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Students Residence, or Youth hostels.
- We offer 3 meals a day, intertwined with coffe breaks. At least one of the meals is served hot.
- Public Transports (surface metro, bus, train and subway) and in case of need it will be used the organisation's cars.