Smart Grids? Let's make our Planet Greener!
Electricity is the main pillar to achieve decarbonization of human activity and ensure sustainable development.
Learn about the different forms of renewable sources for electricity production and about solutions to solve the problems caused by the integration of variable renewable sources, namely: energy storage, active demand management (demand response) and smart grids.
- Fields of activity:
- Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Power Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Production of electricity from renewable energy sources: troubles arising from the use of source variability; the need for energy storage systems; electrochemical batteries, hydrogen and fuel cells. Electricity as the main pillar of decarbonization: electric heating and cooling; electric mobility. Smart Grids: Making it easier the integration of variable renewable sources; smart charging of electric vehicles; demand response (active demand management).
- Learning goals and objectives:
- At the end of the course, the student should understand the basic trade-offs in replacing the use of fossil energy sources by variable renewable energy sources and what solutions will have to be used to achieve this major social goal.
- Examination type:
- Quiz test
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- We want the participants to show interest in the topic, Coimbra and Portuguese culture by writing a Motivational Letter full of spirit, fun, and originality.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University dorms or an Erasmus residence.
- Breakfast, coffee breaks and lunch/dinner (at least 1 hot meal) will be provided by the organizers. Some meals will take place at the university canteens but you'll also experience Coimbra's finest chefs (the beautiful members of our Local BEST Group!)
- By bus, by car or by foot