Clouds, Pirates and the Island of Paxos - the Hitchhiker's Guide to Distributed Computing: Reloaded
Are you wondering what have clouds to do with pirates? Are you even more perplexed by the fact that a Greek island comes also into the picture? Are you curious enough to find the answers? Well, here is a tip: those are all tools, techniques or results of the growing world of Distributed Computing. And we invite you to explore it in Barcelona!
- Fields of activity:
- Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- In this course we will explore the world of Distributed Computing; look at it from a theoretical as well as practical and social point of view. We will look at the problems we have in distributed systems and understand why they are so different from our regular systems. The concepts will be introduced in lectures but we will also take the advantage of your social skills and introduce you to the concepts in games. You probably never have tried to decide what the price of olive oil should be but after this course you will smile the next time you hear about it. To give you a tool in your future career we will during the course introduce you to a programing language called Erlang. The language is quite simple in its structure and is a wonderful tool when developing distributed systems. You do not need to be a hacker or script kid to follow the course but an interest in programming certainly helps.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Give an overview of the potential and fundamental problems of distributed systems.
- Examination type:
- Project presentation.
- ECTS credits issued:
- (Not known yet)
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Youth Hostel
- Organisers will provide you breakfast, lunch and dinner each day of the course. At least one of them per day will be a warm meal.
- Organisers will provide you public transportation tickets.