Hemodynamics: How complex can one's blood flow be?
Have you ever tried to adapt a product or a service to your daily needs? Well, so did the medical field!
It is well known that each patient is unique and what makes the difference between therapeutical success and failure is how the therapy is customized to each individual. When talking about cardiovascular diseases and, therefore, hemodynamics, personalized medicine is a challenging concept, that brings together knowledge from both the medical world and the engineering one, using tools that are able to analyze and model the blood flow phenomena.
By attending this course you will learn how you, as an engineer, could be part of the medical process for various cardiovascular procedures.
When it comes to facilities, the course will be organized in one of the first universities of Romania, “Politehnica” University of Timisoara. With a history of over a century, our professors will ensure a unique learning experience for anyone willing to try it.
And now we can just wonder: - Timisoara: Little Vienna? Future Cultural Capital? Your new home between 13 and 21 of July 2022?
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Biomedical Engineering , Computer Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Mechanical Engineering , Medicine/Dental Medicine , Physics/Physics Engineering
- Content and topics:
- During this course you will learn the concept of individual patient-based 3D model with cardiovascular disease and particularly the process of segmentation based on DICOM images. You will learn how this model could be used as a step in pre-planning the therapeutical procedure, either prepare the model for computational simulations or 3D printing. The working hours include a lot of practical work, lectures given by specialists in hemodynamics and a company visit.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The aim of this course is to define the concept of personalized medicine in case of cardiovascular conditions using the engineering tools associated with hemodynamics. Attending this course, you will learn how to design a cardiovascular patient-based 3D model, how to prepare the model for computational simulations or 3D printing and how this model can be used as a tool in personalizing the medical therapy. Objectives 1. Defining the idea of personalized medicine, in terms of hemodynamics and cardiovascular patient-focused diagnose and therapy. 2. Understanding the process of segmentation and design a vascular specific patient-based 3D model. 3. Identifying the advantages of using the engineering tools (CAD techniques, computational simulations, experimental analysis and 3D printing) for a better understanding of the blood flow phenomena, as a step in pre-planning the therapeutical procedures in patients with cardiovascular conditions.
- Examination type:
- Project presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational letter and answers to the custom questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dorms or hostel
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included (at least one hot and cooked meal per day)
- Public transportation and by foot. Public transportation will be provided at no extra cost.