Change me baby one more time
Have you ever wondered how genome editing works?
Are you willing to look into the present and future of its application?
Do you want to know what all the fuss with GMO crops is about?
If you want to learn even more about that in the company of fluffy people in the Green Capital of Europe 2016 (yes, we still brag about it :D) keep on reading because THIS is your opportunity to have the BEST Summer experience!
Our amazing Summer Course will be focusing on applying genome editing in many organisms and show you the possibilities that it provides. From application in medicine, genetically modified organisms, reproduction, and much much more. This field is constantly improving and we would love to be the ones to present it to you.
Apart from attending interesting lectures, lab work, and company visits, you will get a chance to discover secret places and tourist attractions the best possible way -- with students living in Ljubljana. You will also get a chance to see the beautiful nature Slovenia has to offer, all in the company of 21 other students from all around Europe that share the same idea of what a perfect week in summer looks like!
This is all the information you get for now, we won’t spoil it too much. But if you are excited to come, apply now and see for yourself. We can’t wait to meet you!
- Fields of activity:
- Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Biomedical Engineering
- Content and topics:
- During the course there will be addressed the following topics: cell’s genetic mechanisms, traditional and modern methods of genome editing, CRISPR/Cas9 method, genetically modified organisms (GMO).
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The aim is for students to get to know the basics of genetic mechanisms and possibilities new technologies bring in modifying organisms. The focus of genetic modification will be on several organisms in relevance to some of the modern methods. With the knowledge provided, students will have a better understanding of what future of genome editing could look like.
- Examination type:
- Oral or Written exam.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Participants will be selected based on their motivation letter and their answers to the three questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- During the week, participants will sleep in student dorms, close to the center of Ljubljana and on the weekend trip in a private house in Slovenian Alps.
- Three meals per day, at least one hot (provided by organizers).
- Everything will be covered. We will mostly use public transportation and cars for getting to the location of the weekend trip.