Seven Hops to Heaven: Czech Brewing Tech
Do you like beer? Ever wondered why beer tastes the way it does? Then you are at the right place! Our course certified by the Ministry of Education will introduce you to the science underlying beer brewing. You will learn how the ingredients, different biochemical reactions, and processes in beer brewing influence the taste and aroma of beer. What’s more, you will get the chance to brew beer in a university brewery!
You will learn all about beer in the city, which has been voted the most beautiful city in the world. You will explore the city of Awesome Prague, its unique historical atmosphere, and pulsating nightlife. Moreover, you will spend a wonderful weekend trip in the Czech nature. And you won’t be alone in this. All of this not only with us, the organizers from Awesome Prague, but mainly with other 20 participants from all over Europe!
But DO NOT worry, we are preparing much more for you, from city rallies to the most incredible once-in-a-lifetime parties. Our goal is to make the most unforgettable memories for you!
Thirsty for more?
Apply for the event!
- Fields of activity:
- Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biomedical Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Food Engineering , Industrial Engineering
- Content and topics:
- History of beer brewing, identification, history of beer styles, malt processing, brewing processes, fermentation, pasteurization of beer, sensory analysis. (Complete syllabus on the course's website)
- Learning goals and objectives:
- After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of the four basic ingredients of beer in shaping beer taste and aroma
- Understand the different processing steps in malting and beer brewing
- Understand the key biochemical reactions occurring during each of these steps
- Recognize and describe the main beer styles, and understand how the brewing process contributes to the different beers
- Identify key factors affecting beer characteristics, quality, and stability
- Carry out basic sensory analyses of beers and identify key flavours and off-flavours and their molecular origin
- Examination type:
- Written exam
- ECTS credits issued:
- 1.0 (Issued by the Czech Ministry of Education)
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and answers to the required questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Dormitory or hostel near the university
- Three meals a day, at least one served hot, cooked by the organizers or school canteen
- Public transport, tickets provided by organizers, bus or train to the weekend trip location