Engineering comes to help medicine - The cyborgization of the future
We invite you to Brussels, Europe’s capital haha, yeah we’re very proud of it (just joking). Brussels is one of the most multicultural cities, as such Belgians have no sense of patriotism haha (still joking). When you walk in the streets, you’ll never find two people talking the same language, it’s great ! You’ll get the opportunity to discover our beautiful, and very modern university (except for the humidity in the walls). At least, we are good folks and we prepared an academic project and some acitivities that will be life changing, especially if you need a new prosthesis ! Come and learn the basics of biomechanics while drinking beers with us. We promise to bring you to eat the best fries and chocolate in the world !!! We can’t wait to welcome you !
Brussels ULB Course core team.
- Fields of activity:
- Biomedical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Mechanical Engineering
- Content and topics:
- The Course will cover general mechanics, a study of the human tissues, prostheses and some examples of them. The learning will be achieved through theory lectures, exercise and laboratory sessions. Presentations by industry actors in the domain of orthopaedic biomechanics will also be provided. The final evaluation will be a written exam to see if the different participants have understood the main concept of the Course.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Orthopedic surgery is an important field for both scientific research and medical technology and the orthopedic industry constitutes one of the most relevant job opportunities for many biomedical engineers. Therefore, the aim of the course is to introduce students to the basic concepts of human orthopedic biomechanics and of related medical devices. In detail, the course will describe the musculoskeletal systems, the kinematics, and the kinetics of the main joints of the human body and of the main design aspects required for the design of an orthopedic device.
- Examination type:
- Written exam
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational letter, academic background & answer to the three questions !
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- JES Sleep Inn Youth Hostel - During all the event
- Warm meals at the university canteen for lunch and loving homemade food for dinners and the weekend. Coffee breaks will be provided between the lessons.
- STIB public transportation in the city.