High-Tech Engineering in Medicine
SC Almada 2005 “High-Tech Engineering in Medicine” will be an international technological course focused on Biomedical Engineering area. In the World Year of Physics 2005, we will study the new applications of Physics in modern Medicine.
And because the SC will be held in Almada, a beautiful city with kilometres of coastline with great beaches, you'll have the opportunity to experience the BEST that sunny Portugal has to offer, and most of all, have lots of FUN!!!
- Content and topics:
- The course will be centered on the applications of Physics and Engineering in the Human Body and other biological systems. We will focus not only the theoretic physical principals applied to the new existing technologies but also their applications and functioning in modern medicine. The specific topics of the lectures will be: Nuclear Medicine; Radiation in Biological Tissues; Molecular Image; Lasers and Optics; Biomechanics and Hemodinamics; Magnetic and Nuclear Resonance; Bio-magnetism and magnetic stimulation; Electro-Physiology; Computers in Medicine
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The aim of this course will be to show the participants how they can apply the Physics they learned in their engineering courses in the newest high-tech instruments available in Medicine. The course will be mostly developed by showing practical and "hands on" examples, so that the participants will not only know the theory but also the functioning of the devices.
- Examination type:
- The evaluation will be done by writing a final project in group and then presenting it.
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Studying an Engineering course or Medicine; We will try to keep a big nationality variety
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- We will be staying at the University's Students dorm
- The meals will either be at the Faculty's Canteen or provided by the organizers
- All the transportation to the SC activities will be provided by the organizers