From Pythagoras to Wiles: Mathematics without the comma
Do you want to know why the Pythagoreans where scared of the number 17 or how many zeroes there are in the end of the number 1000! if you write it in the base 11?
Theory of integers has many mysteries you never thought of and interesting problems that you now get the opportunity to solve!
We also want to show you Uppsala as we, the students, experience it. As real Uppsala students you get to ride bikes everywhere you go and party at our famous nations. We also plan a weekend trip to a cabin in the forest where you can take a sauna and swim in the lake.
- Content and topics:
- Theory and history of the concept integers; Pythagoras, Euler, Bertrand, Wiles. Some about mathematics, psycology and evolution. Discussing and solving problems.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Get some other views of the concept of integers. Get practice in solving problems.
- Examination type:
- Tasks/problems to solve in free time alone or in gruops.
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- We want an even distribution of students from all over Europe, and also the same number of boys and girls. Apart from that we look for students that seem to be interested in the course and nice and social.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- In studentrooms where the owners are away for summer holidays.
- Lunches at the university restaurant and dinners that organisers prepare. Mostly food that we normally eat ourselves in Sweden.
- Mostly by bike, some by city buses.