Engineer the future: Get yourself sustainable!
"To meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs"
(Brundlandt Commission, 1987)
The EU's Sustainable Development Strategy aims, in tandem with the Lisbon Strategy for growth and jobs, for a more prosperous, cleaner and fairer Europe. Sustainable Development is an overarching concept. The EU Treaty requires the integration of sustainable development into all European policies, so they are designed in a balanced and mutually reinforcing way to meet economic, environmental and social objectives.
LBG Lisbon decided to organize a Summer Course on this topic, where there will be much more than lectures/presentations. We want to have a great time by providing you the best time of your lives! For that we made a schedule with many excursions to beautiful old cities from the centre to south Portugal, swimming on the beach, camping in a natural reserve and many parties and surprises that we don't want to let you know ;)
- Content and topics:
- During the course several aspects of sustainable development will be discussed, from industrial ecology and economy metabolism to the ecologic footprint. The lectures will focus on Construction and Sustainable planning (Territory), Resources and Recycling, Evaluation of the Product Life Cycle, Renewable Energies and Natural Resources, spanning trough eolic, hidric and solar energy, as well as clean engines and hybrid vehicles. Also, there will be practical field trips, visiting Companies related to the studied themes.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein "The first thing we must begin to teach our children (and learn ourselves) is that we cannot spend and consume endlessly. We have got to learn to save and conserve. We do need a "new economy", but one that is founded on thrift and care, on saving and conserving, not on excess and waste." Wendell Berry
- Examination type:
- Oral presentation in group
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter. 30 students will be selected. No academic requirements. We will try to keep the 50%-50% gender distribution, as well as a good nationality diversity.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- First weekend: we'll go camping in the southwest of Portugal-Costa Vicentina's natural Reserve(Alentejo). Second weekend: There will be surprise activities, and we'll stay at the university´s dormitory at Picoas. In all the other nights we will be staying in the university's dormitory at Picoas, near the centre (3 floors, 15 double rooms, 1 bathroom per floor, 1 living room with sofas, TV).
- We will provide the participants all the necessary biological nutrients to survive the 2 week course. Breakfast will be served on the university's dorm (not in the bed… not all of your wishes can be full field): bread, cheese, ham, juice, coffee, tea, etc). Sometimes, when we are outside Lisbon we will provide sandwiches for lunch or typical portuguese BBQ. On working days, lunch and dinner will be provided on the university's canteen, except for special occasions (International, National, etc).
- From the university's dorm to the class room it's about 10 minutes walking. For the traveling in Portugal we'll use the university's bus. In Lisbon we will use public transportation (subway, bus, train and tram).