Biom3Dical: are you ready to be IMPRESS'ed ?
Psst.. Hey you! Yes you! Have you heard of 3D printing? Yes? Well, who hasn’t... I’ve got something even better in my pocket, wait for it…
… There it is! “BIOMEDICAL METAL 3D printing!!” Isn’t that a thing? Oh.. so now I have your attention, wanna hear more about it ?
I know a guy…
He’s organising a Summer Course next summer in early July! He told me that he is connecting metal 3D printing to some biomedical applications, which makes it even more exciting, don’t you think?
‘Cause, not only can you learn about metal 3D printing, but you can even get to see where and how it can be useful in a fast growing field !
And I know a place…
It’s called Louvain-la-Neuve. I know, the name may sound weird, but trust me on this: it’s the BEST place you’ll ever go to! Louvain-la-Neuve is in the heart of Belgium. As you may know: in Belgium you’ll find great people, unforgettable parties and a lot of places to visit. Especially in Louvain-la-Neuve, parties are awesome. Guess why! Two thirds of its population are students! You don’t believe me? Google it! I don’t have to draw you a picture to explain what that means right? It’s unique!
What?! You’re still hesitating?! Okay look… Belgium… a.k.a. BEST Fries! a.k.a. BEST chocolate! a.k.a. BEST beers!! You’re not just gonna let that opportunity go away, right? I also heard the guy’s even planning to go on a Weekend Trip!
Brussels? Of course you’ll get to see it! It’s just 20 mins away from Louvain-la-Neuve. In fact, it is even closer to Brussels than Brussels’ South Airport is.
So what more can I say... if you want to :
- learn all the aspects of metal 3D printing and how to apply them to biomedical
- learn about the Belgian unique way of partying
- visit Louvain-la-Neuve, Brussels and other parts of Belgium
- eat loads of the best “french” fries in the world, the belgian ones
- eat the best chocolate on Earth (we know you want it too)
- meet the crazy wonderful people of Louvain-la-Neuve
Then don’t hesitate anymore because this course is made for you!
- Fields of activity:
- Biomedical Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Medicine/Dental Medicine
- Content and topics:
- The course will consist in theoretical lessons and practical work in lab with as goal to develop a project by groups of 4. Theoretical part will cover various topics linked to metal 3D printing and biomedical. During the practical part you will probably be developing human bones in a lattice structure. You’ll also have to specify the characteristics of these parts you’ll develop.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Learning what metal 3D printing really is, how it works. Learning how metal 3D printing can be applied in a biomedical context.
- Examination type:
- Project Presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, answers to the questions, followed courses related to the subject, interest in the subject and in the Belgian student folklore, outgoingness, ability to deal with lack of sleep. Be fun and creative, show us you are willing to meet new people: give us a hard time choosing participants!
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Comfortable student dormitory
- We provide breakfast and two meals a day (lunch & dinner), at least a hot one per day.
- We will be mainly walking but we'll use the train, as well as the bus and the car. We might also rent bikes during our Weekend Trip.