Understanding the world of renewable energy and the energy challenges faced by the planet.
Will our planet run out of energy? What is the future of renewable sources? What are the challenges for future generations?
The way we use environmental resources does not ensure a sustainable energy future for our planet, therefore develop energy policies able to meet our needs in the long term is one of the biggest challenge of our generation.
The goal of scientists and engineers is to truly understand the problem, to quantify its ins and outs and to find feasible solutions to fix it. The kind of solutions towards which we are heading is the implementation of a series of innovations in order to exploit renewable energy sources in the best way. This is why it is an important field to study.
During this summer course, we offer you a unique possibility to understand the energy challenges that our planet is facing and get a sneak peek at top notch ongoing research projects in the domain.
Through a series of interactive lessons and five innovative lectures given in various cultural locations in Liege, you will develop a thorough knowledge of the key factors involved in the energy balance of our societies. Thanks to those lessons you will also integrate different elements of reflection that are necessary for the development of effective energy policies.
During the event, you will also have the chance to discover Belgium, Liege and other beautiful cities like Brugge and Brussels, capital of Europe. Of course, you will taste our various beers and numerous chocolates that made us famous around the world ! Without forgetting the friendly Belgian spirit and our crazy parties !
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Civil Engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Power Engineering
- Content and topics:
- This course is an introduction to the world of sustainable energy, its challenges and its future. You'll also learn about subjects such as: -The smart grid -Global grid -New business opportunities in renewable energy
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Knowledge about the various elements playing an important role in energy balance of our societies and the impact that renewable energy can have in this balance. Learning differents ways of thinking that are necessary for the development of effective energy policies. Learning of a formal reasoning approach to answer questions related to energy policy.
- Examination type:
- Multiple choice examination.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- The selection will be based on the participant's motivation letter and on the balance in the participants' origins.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University accommodation on the campus, with single room for everyone.
- Breakfast in the morning, picnic at midday and hot meal cooked by your BEST organisers in the evening.
- Mainly by bus and train across Liege and Belgium, by feet across university, by car when necessary.