|Place, Dates & Organisers
Place: Aveiro, Portugal
Dates: 23 August 2016 to 3 September 2016
University: University of Aveiro
(See University profile in BEST university centre)
BEST Course on Technology
Fee: 35.0 euro. Convert to
Depending on the country of your university, the amount of fee
can be lower. [Read more]
Application until: 20 Mar 2016 at 23:00 CET
Application deadline has passed.
| Participation requirements:
Prior knowledge required
(Basic scientific knowledge of mathematics and physics.)
Academic complexity: Basic [Read more]
Working time: 30
Are you in love with Bioissues?
Are you interested in Biomechanics and Medical Devices?
Do you want to learn more about how to improve peoples health and quality of life?
Well, Aveiro challenges you to apply our course. We are planning to give you a basic overview of biomechanics and medical devices in general as well as more directed and specific lectures on several bio themes.
You will be able to discover the high-tech equipment used in Biomechanics Research, available at our University, through practical classes and laboratorial visits assisted by professors and researchers of this field of studies.
Despite all of the irresistible academic activities we have planned, you will also have the opportunity to visit the beautiful city of Aveiro and the surrounding areas, such as Praia da Barra and its charming beachside. We know that you are already tempted to apply but wait - we have more for you!
You can also enjoy yourself at great parties, get to know amazing people from every corner of Europe and have lots of fun. Combine all this and you get the recipe for the greatest 12 days of your summer! Are you ready to accept this challenge?
- Fields of activity:
- Content and topics: Biomechanics is the science that explain how and why the human body moves in the way that it does through analysis of the mechanics of human movement. Biomechanics is traditionally divided into the areas of kinetics (concerning the analysis of the forces acting on the body) and kinematics (concerning the analysis of the movements of the body). A medical device is any instrument, apparatus, implant, software, material or other similar or related article, intended to be used for human beings, for one or more of the specific medical purpose of prevention, diagnosis, monitoring, treatment or alleviation of injury or even investigation. During the course the participants will have the possibility to acquire knowledge through lectures by teachers and researchers in several themes related with Biomechanics and medical devices. Some of these themes are Biomechanics of Movement, Stimulation for bone remodling and other lectures related with Biophysics (PET Scanner and CT Scanner) and Biomaterials and its contribute to the development of medical devices. They will also have the opportunity to visit the facultys research equipment, to participate in round table discussions and to have practical classes.
- Learning goals and objectives: This Summer Course aims to give a general background on important aspects related with Biomechanics as well as knowledge about the development of some medical devices, therefore this course will approach both fundamental concepts and practical aspects related with it. Lectures and laboratorial classes are organised to provide knowledge in this field at an introductory level but based on consolidated knowledge. There will also be the opportunity to discuss about some issues related with the main theme. For give you different prespectives in a general way about courses field, we are colaborating with some Departments of our University (Mechanics, Physics, Materials and Health).
- Examination type: Oral presentation and/or writen test.
- Number of ECTS credits issued:
Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria for participants: Based on motivation letter, topic interest, answers to our questions and overall creativity.
All of these are covered by the event fee.
- Lodging during the event: University dorms.
- Food during the event: 3 meals per day, at least one of them hot. Home cooked traditional portuguese food.
- Transportation during the event: Transportation will be guaranteed through the University bus and vans or organisers cars.
For more information about this event, check out the following links
(these links lead to outside this website - if they turn out to be
unavailable, please try again later):