Every breath you take: Air pollution in urban areas
Nowadays, one of the biggest world issues is air pollution caused by urban areas and metropolises.
In Naples, everyday you can walk surrounded by unique natural wonders such as Mt. Vesuvius, the worldwide famous volcano, the splendid Gulf with its idyllic islands, and several natural parks.
These beauties are in part ruined by air pollution. The identification of the correct strategies and actions that must be undertaken to face this problem requires a deep technical understanding of the issue.
That's why this course will focus on topics related to air pollution such as: monitoring and modeling at urban scale, vehicular and ship emissions, particle characterization and removal, portable sensors and pervasive monitoring.
In this course some of the main issues will be presented and discussed through room lectures, laboratory and on-field experiences with other students from all over Europe and alongside members from BEST Naples, who will guide you through the alleys of an ancient Mediterranean Capital rich with colors, millenary traditions and delicious food.
- Fields of activity:
- Agronomics/Forestry , Applied Sciences , Biology , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Geology , Industrial Engineering , Industrial Management , Maritime Management , Materials Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Territory Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Air pollution monitoring and modelling; Instrumental analysis, Data Analysis; Monitoring campaigns.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The participants will gain basic knowledge on the main issues in urban air pollution. Additionally, they will learn how to perform a monitoring campaign.
- Examination type:
- Written test
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational letter and answers to the 3 custom questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Hostel / Dormitories / Organiser's houses
- Three meals per day, at least one of them cooked and hot (no extra cost)
- Mainly by foot and by public transport (no extra cost)