Sustainable Buildings - It's the Circle of Life
In Germany we recycle everything, even our buildings, can you imagine that?
Are you obsessed with making the buildings around you friendlier to the environment, reusing old buildings rather than seeing them rot away in the distance? Wouldn’t it be amazing to say that our buildings, just like our shopping bags and our plastic bottles, were made from recycled parts of some long-forgotten Egyptian pyramids? If we could give those stones the ability to see another generation grow up in them?
If you really care about the future and how we make our cities more eco-friendly, come to Aachen, we will teach you about the newest discussion topics in the academic field and not recycled topics about recycling!
You will also be able to be a part of Aachen Life Cycle - it drew over 45 000 students from all around the world to study here, in the biggest university in the whole Germany. We are going to show you the amazing capital of Emperor Charles the Great, you can drink the BEST German beer and try our Wurst while admiring our Cathedral, which saw the coronation of 43 German kings and queens. You can do all that and even more with your amazing new friends from all over Europe!
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Civil Engineering , Conservation-Restoration , Environmental Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Materials Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Territory Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Efficient building, introduction to the LCA (Life Cycle Assessment Method), circular economy on structures, BIM (Building Information Model), future technologies in the construction field. Environmental impact of the buildings, afterlife of the constructions - reusing needed materials.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The course is about getting an introduction of how can you build in a more efficient way, trying to have a lower impact on the environment, with the life cycle thinking approach at the building and the urban scale. Get an introduction to more sustainable/recycled materials for buildings and constructions.
- Examination type:
- Written examination at the end of the course.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational letter, interest in the subject, answers to the questions (be creative!), positive attitude towards the event, interest in Aachen and the German culture. Aiming for cultural diversity.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Hostel near the city centre and a cozy country house for the weekend trip near a lake.
- Three meals per day, at least one of them cooked, all provided by organizers or the canteen (no extra costs).
- Mainly by foot and by public transport(no extra cost).