The Sound of Science: A dive into sound measure and hearing
Organizer: Have you ever wondered why you like 'I want it that way' by Backstreet Boys so much?
Student: TELL ME WHY!
In this 10 day Course, we are going to dive into the science behind some major audio technology, as well as human perception and emotional response to music.
Have you ever wondered how your noise cancellation headphones work?
Audio technology has dominated modern days direction towards the music and tech industry.
Sound is traveling in mechanical waves which enter the human ear and cause vibrations that are enabling hearing. Music as a sound, is evoking some powerful emotional responses, shaping personal preferences and a very strong connection to TikTok sounds.
If the Idea of doing a workshop inside an actual roman odeon sounds appealing to you…
If your fire, your one desire is to experience the famous Greek Summer with tasty tzatziki, souvlaki, and ouzo…
Then Patras is waiting for you!
Hope to “hear” from you soon :)
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Automotive Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Computational Sciences , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mathematics , Mechanical Engineering , Multimedia and Communication Design , Physics/Physics Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- 1. Sound, Physics and hearing: definition of sound, sound production, control, transmission, reception, and effects 2. Measuring Sound: acoustic sources and waves, time and frequency as units, decibel as a unit of measurement, noise emission and its regulations 3. Sound Perception: hearing mechanisms, perception and emotional response to music 4. Audio Technology: audio systems, communication, digital processing of sound, augmented hearing and virtual acoustics
- Learning goals and objectives:
- By the end of this course, the participants will have a better understanding of how the sound is transmitted, what enables people to receive sound and the way they perceive it. In addition, they will get to know the principles that audio technology is based on.
- Examination type:
- Final Examination
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational Letter, Answers to Questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University’s Dormitories or Hostel
- Restaurants in the city & home-cooked meals by organizers (breakfast and two meals per day at least one hot/cooked)
- Buses, Patras Suburban Railway, organizers' cars