Dredging Digs Deep ! Let engineers play with sand !
From the Suez Canal to the Panama Canal, from the palm-tree islands in the Middle East to the river flowing through the city nearest to your house, dredging has an impact on the surrounding area and far beyond. Deepening waterways by dredging makes harbours accessible for large ships, channels can be made for short-cuts.
Altering the flow of rivers by dredging also prevent floodings, thus increase safety.
Even palm trees can grow by dredging, looking at the Palm Tree project in Dubai. Dredging makes from this world a different place and will continue to do so in the future. This Summer Course gives an introduction to the fascinating world of dredging and to the technical equipment that comes along with it. Dredging truly is the engineers' way to play with sand.
- Content and topics:
- An introduction to the world of dredging. The topics that will be covered are: -Equipment and technology of dredging; organisation of dredging projects -Characteristics of mud sludge and sand -Flow of mud, sludge and sand and modelling -Ecological issues on dredging -Sustainable dredging -Processing of sludge after dredging -Cases on dredging projects -Field trips
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Provide a broad view on the topic of dredging.
- Examination type:
- Written examination
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- A mix of sexes, nationalities and ages will be taken into consideration.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Separate rooms with single beds, with lavabo. Showers and toilets in separate rooms.
- Self-cooked by the organisers.
- By bicycle, public transport and cars of the organisers.