Blowin' in the wind
Delft is a small town located in the South of the Netherlands, between Rotterdam and Den Haag. Its a town that you may not know, but its a place where some magic happens. Some magic that you will able to learn about! The magic of creating electrical power from the wind, the magic of 22 international students meeting for the first time, the magic of the legendary BEST Delft, the magic of improving all together through our diversity.
Wind energy is currently one of the biggest hopes of mankind to defeat the environmental threat that our planet is currently facing. Every year, more and more wind turbines are installed all over the world, in an exponential effort to make our planet greener. From China to the US, from Chile to the to the shore of Northern Sea everybody is witnessing a real revolution. But how does wind energy work? What are the possible improvements and its most recent developments? If you want to know the answers, there is no better place than the Netherlands to discover it, thanks to its central role in the European wind research and to the annoying storms we have at least twice per day (a perfect classroom!). Furthermore, to ensure only the best quality for you, the course will be organized in cooperation with EWEM (European Wind Energy Master), an innovative Master program held in four different countries. The activities should also include a visit to the wind tunnel of TU Delft and to a Dutch airport!
Once you are here, of course there will be time for you to explore the beauty of the Netherlands. Literally taken away from the sea, the Netherlands offer you many places to visit: the fun of Amsterdam, the architecture of Rotterdam, the flowers of Keukenhof, the windmills of Kinderdijk and the juice of Tholen. Our city, Delft, is considered one of the most beautiful ones in the whole country, thanks to being home to one of the most fascinating universities in the world, its stunning canals, the bikes running everywhere, the cheese shops, the ceramics, the memory of Rembrandt and to high people falling into the stunning canals.
Also, dont forget about the social experience! Youll be able to meet people from all over Europe (and the rest of the world) since the Local BEST Group of Delft is the most international of the whole association. You will meet the secret society of the Aluminati, to hear unforgettable legends, to taste drinks with gold inside, and to enjoy our most traditional parties.
So what are you waiting for? Dont be dry, just apply!
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Automotive Engineering , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biomedical Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Industrial Management , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Mining/Mineral Resources Engineering , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Petroleum Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Rural and Surveying Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics , Territory Engineering , Textile Engineering & Technology , Transport Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Wind energy, all over its different aspects.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Provide general information about wind turbines, how do they work, which are their components, how relevant they are in today's world and which are their newest developments.
- Examination type:
- Written exam / case study.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational letter and answers to questions, interest in wind energy, interest in Delft and the Netherlands, positive attitude towards the event.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Scout house.
- Three meals per day, of which one is warm.
- Bikes, foot, cars, public transport. Participants have to be able to ride a bike!