The Science of a Smart Toaster
Nowadays the day to day routine as well our lives are getting more and more automatized, that thanks to some of the great developments of our century like Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things.
Since that the mobiles play a major role in our lives, the power to control everything with them, from the heating systems in our houses to the performance of our company simplifies everything in our life. This is allowed thanks to IoT, and Industry 4.0 or smart houses are applications of this new network.
Until now, we have worked with Internet which is a computer network, but IoT is the “new internet” connecting from our toaster to our alarm system, or the lines of production in factories.
With this course, you will have the opportunity to build your basic system controlled by your phone, and you will also have the opportunity to learn the basics behind this technology.
What are you waiting for? Coimbra is waiting for you!
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Computational Sciences , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- The course will start with an introduction to microcontroller programming (Arduino platform) and elementary sensor development concepts, which will be followed by a simple introduction to mobile app development, using the Android platform. In the final classes, the knowledge acquired about these two domains will be leveraged to implement simple automation use cases.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- This course was conceived to provide a learning path which intends to guide students through a series of topics related with IoT technologies and mobile app development as a means to implement simple automation projects.
- Examination type:
- The participants have to do a final project and make a presentation of it.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- We want the participants to show interest in the topic, Coimbra and Portuguese culture by writing a Motivational Letter full of spirit, fun, and originality.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University dorms or an Erasmus residence.
- Breakfast, coffee breaks and lunch/dinner (at least 1 hot meal) will be provided by the organizers. Some meals will take place at the university canteens but you'll also experience Coimbra's finest chefs (the beautiful members of our Local BEST Group!)
- By Car, by bus and by foot.