Participatory Design: The power of collaboration
Would you like to spend 9 days of your summer in a country with one of the oldest borders in the world and in a city built on seven hills? Would you like to go to the beach, watch a sunset over the city in one of the many viewpoints, eat a “pastel de nata” near the Tagus River, walk in the small and picturesque Lisbon’s streets and, at the same time, learn about participatory methodologies to promote the active involvement of actors in the planning and design of projects? Then this is YOUR opportunity!
We dare you to come to Lisbon to, not only learn more about Participatory Design with amazing professors that will use active learning approaches and methodologies, but also to apply that knowledge on the development of a project together with other international students from many different places of Europe.
If you’re waiting for a sign, this is it!!! Apply now and come to have the BEST summer ever in Lisbon! We are waiting for you :)
- Fields of activity:
- Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Biomedical Engineering , Computational Sciences , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Economics/Business Administration/Marketing , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Industrial Management , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Mechanical Engineering , Multimedia and Communication Design , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Territory Engineering , Textile Engineering & Technology , Transport Engineering
- Content and topics:
- During the course you’ll have the opportunity to understand more about Participatory Design and its importance. This event will address topics such as learning about social competencies for mobilizing participatory processes, participatory methodologies and the active involvement of actors as a strategy for success. It will also develop among participants the capacity to think from a user’s perspective in their areas of intervention and to go beyond the restricted view of “people” as customers of a manufactured product or a provided service, and recognize that the suitability of the product, and the plan, must adjust to the expectations and aspirations of its users, in a collaborative process of co-construction.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The main aim of this course is to raise the students' awareness about the importance of stakeholders' involvement in project planning and design and about the techniques available to promote that involvement. It seeks to help the students to think from a user's perspective in their field and make them realize that their products can increase in value if they take into account the customers’ expectations and satisfaction.
- Examination type:
- Group project with presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Based on the Motivational Letter and the answers to the Questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Hostel, students' dorms or private accommodation
- Drinkable water and three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will be provided at no extra cost. We will provide coffee breaks with coffee and snacks in between sessions in the morning and afternoon. At least one meal per day will be served cooked and hot (sandwiches are not considered a cooked meal). Special dietary needs of participants will be properly accommodated without additional costs due to medical necessity, personal or religious beliefs, provided that the organizing LBG has been notified in advance of such requirements. All participants will get to experience Portuguese cuisine.
- Walking and public transportation (at no extra cost)