CSI: Coimbra's Summer Investigation
General approach to Forensic Sciences: facial recognition, analytical chemistry techniques, ballistics and explosives, crimilalistic and forensic toxicology. The lectures will consist on presentations, lab experiments, wittnessing an autopsy and some field trips. In end of the course, the participants will be challenged to solve a hypothetical criminal case where they have to apply all the knowledge acquired during the course.
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Medicine/Dental Medicine , Pharmacy , Physics/Physics Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- Facial recognition, analytical chemistry techniques, criminalistics, ballistics and explosives and forensic toxicology. The course is divided in two parts: theorical lessons about the topics and their pratical application. In the second week several teams will be formed, each one specialised in one area and in the end of the course all teams will work together to solve an hypothetical criminal case.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- A general Introduction to Forensic Sciences : recognize and collect evidences, determining which analytical method to use to process those evidences, basic introduction to ballistics and explosives, understand how technological developments are important to forensic sciences.
- Examination type:
- Practical exam - resolution of an hypothetical criminal case using the techniques learned through the course.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Interest in the Portuguese culture and society. A motivation letter telling us why you are OUR BEST candidate, why do you want to come to Portugal and specifically to Coimbra and how much fun you will expect in this Summer Course. Priority will be given to students of Chemistry, Medicine, Physics, Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer, Physics and Chemical engineering who have great interest for Forensic Sciences.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University Dorms
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner (2 warm) are fully guaranteeded by the Course Organizers. Most meals will be served made in the university cafeteria, but we'll also have some barbecues and the participants will taste typical portuguese food
- Bus, car, train, foot