Go with the wind: sail to the sky!
Do you know what a sailboat, an airplane and a car have in common? Are you aware of how many different technologies have been developed to fly through the air? Don't waste time anymore, and apply to Naples Autumn Course 2007! You will discover how the same basic priciples make an helicopter hover like a dragonfly, and drive an America's Cup boat to the victory. You will get in touch with the most peculiar consequences and oddities of the laws of fluid-dynamics, finding out how to sail upwind, toward the direction from which the wind is blowing, or how to fly with a rotor that is not driven by any engine. You'll be led to advanced research facilities, where huge wind tunnels simulate the most extreme conditions nature can bring.
But we surely won't forget to show you the fluid dynamics of our delicious limoncello, and the crazy physical laws that make water, flour and mozzarella become a wonderful pizza!!
Last but not least, you'll be hosted inside the Solfatara, an active volcano next to our university!!!
Then what are you waiting for? Set your sails, spread your wings and glide to Naples Autumn Course!
- Content and topics:
- You’ll be introduced to many aspects of fluid dynamics related to modern mean of transport, you'll be showed how a plane flies and why a boat moves agaist the wind, and what are the facilities where fluid dynamics issues are studied.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- You'll have a good knowledge of how a fluid environment interact with a vehicle; you'll get to know what lift is, how it applies to planes, helicopters, sailboats and cars; you'll get in touch with the technologies and research facilities related tothe topic.
- Examination type:
- written examination
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- The participants will be selected by their interest about the topic of the course and their motivation.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Participants will be lodged near our University, in 3/4 places bungalows.
- 3 meals, at least one hot meal a day: continental and mediterranean breakfast, lunch and dinner. Pasta everyday: welcome to Italy =)
- Public transport and private cars according to the needs.