Build a bridge, get over it!
Come to our course and BUILD YOUR OWN BRIDGE!
Bridge is a multifunctional word. It's always about building, but not always about engineering. It's about designing art, it's about creating a product of your imagination. It's a passion and a gateway to a world of creativity. It's about sharing ideas. It's about connecting.
In our course you won't only build your own bridge, but also forge friendships and experience the many aspects a bridge can give you.
Want to know how the Golden Gate bridge was built or why it doesnt collapse under its own weight? Want to know all possible bridge-designs and actually construct them? If so, apply right now! We promise you that this course will teach you the answer to these questions in a practical and hands on manner.
Visit the capital of Europe, taste our Belgian traditions and become part of the BEST Brussels experience!
Apply now, come to Brussels and build your bridge to paradise!
See you on the 11th of September for the most amazing days of your life.
- Fields of activity:
- Architectural Engineering , Civil Engineering
- Content and topics:
- This years course will handle the basics of civil engineering. A compact set of theoretical classes are foreseen, lectured by Danny Van Hemelrijck and Tine Tysmans. These theoretical concepts will be used in a project-based approach. 4 groups shall each design and make a bridge, according to some design rules, to carry a target weight with an eye on material efficiency. Requirements regarding safety, stability, stiffness and strength should be fulfilled. Medium-Density Fibreboard wood is used to do so. The properties of this material are to be determined by the students, by performing tensile and compressive tests. The possible bridge-designs are the cable-stayed bridge, suspension bridge, arch bridge and truss bridge. In the end, weights will be applied on the bridges to verify if they fulfill the mentioned requirements.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Being able to design and construct a bridge according to the theoretical concepts and design rules.
- Examination type:
- Practical study and presentation of building a bridge, weight the bridge can carry and the idea behind the construction in accordance to theory.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Interested in the topic of civil engineering; Creative answers to the questions; Motivation letter
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dormitories close to the campus (2 per room)
- Three meals per day (at least one is hot and cooked)
- On foot and public transportation (covered by the organisation)