Renewables: New Energies, Old Elements, New World!
Mass production of electricity from renewable energy flows requires technology that harnesses the power of natural phenomena such as sunlight, wind or water flow. Each of these sources has unique characteristics which influence how and where they are used. Availability, reliability, energy Input versus output, environmental impacts as well as technical issues will be addressed.
You will ALSO have a unique oportunity to get to know the culture, the living and traditions of Coimbra and Portugal in general. Therefore there will be various activities, as night programs, traditional dinner, thematic parties and so on. So what are YOU waiting for? Pack your stuff and join us in this one of a kind adventure..
- Content and topics:
- Solar: basics of solar energy generation including energy collection and storage. Solar power ranging from the heat of the day to solar electric conversion technologies will be covered including Solar Electric (Photovoltaic); Thermal; and Heating, Cooling and Lighting (Active and Passive). Biomass, Biogas: focus on the release of chemical energy by accelerating the naturally occurring carbon dioxide cycle and the use of this energy to power engines and generators. Natural fuels, fuels made from forest materials and garbage will be discussed. Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Technologies: focus on fuel cell conversion devices and other hydrogen based technologies. The history of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies, their application, instrumentation, specifications, system designs and materials will be covered. Wind Energies: collection devices and current status of wind energy. Hydroelectric: Hydroelectric Power, Turbines, Hydroelectric dams. Energy Site Evaluation:evaluate a site for the most efficient energy usage in terms of site geography, topography, availability of energy and resources.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Develop an understanding of the types, amounts, proportions, and history of energy use in the world. Gain and understanding of the renewable energies available, where they stand with respect to integration into the energy picture, and what the future might hold.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation Letter National / Cultural Diversity / Balance between sexes (number of male / female participants)
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University residence
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The last two will be provided at the University Canteen.
- Car Bus Train Foot