How to avoid large blackout in Europe ? Security analysis and monitoring of large power systems
Welcome to the country of French fries !!!!!!!!!!
No, you are not in France, you are in Belgium!!!!
You will discover the charm of the heart of Europe, its beautiful old Grand Place and maybe you will find out why people are so crazy about a little peeing boy… By the way, how about tasting the delicious Belgian chocolate or drinking one of the 2007 kinds of beers that we have here in our small country?
But don’t worry !!!! Between two crazy parties you will, of course, have a few lectures ;)
Fortunately, the topic will be great. Well, actually it will be HUGE!!!!
Here, in the center of Europe, we will tell you about how the European countries are linked together into a HUGE power system.
Have you ever wondered how it all holds together?
This course will teach you exactly that! You will learn all about methods of security analysis and monitoring of large power systems, like the European one! And you will discover the newest technologies, like WAMS! Then you will see it all by yourself during the visit of the Belgian national dispatching centre that controls the entire Belgian power system! The final step: you take over the control! You will have the possibility to test the real-time power system training simulator!
The courses will be given by the famous, strong and sexy Jean Claude Vandaaaa…..oops Jean Claude Maun!
Ready for a high voltage Belgian adventure? Ready to power up your system ? So, what are you waiting for? Set your resistance to zero Ohm. Just Apply and let your energy flow in Belgium!!!
- Content and topics:
- The course will contain lessons on state estimation, power flow, steady-state security assessment, automatic generation control and wide-areas measurement systems (WAMS). Participants will also have the unique possibility to visit the Belgian national control center (Elia), and to see a demonstration of the real-time power system training simulator with Tractebel and of WAMS (Siemens)
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The goal of this course is to study the principal characteristics of the power systems in order to exploit these in a safe way.
- Examination type:
- The examination will be a group presentation (groups of 4 to 5 students) on a topic given by the professor in charge of the course. Every group will have a different topic.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, questionnaire and lots of enthusiasm!
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- You will be lodged in a youth hostel situated in the center of Brussels: There will be rooms of 3 and 6 people.
- You will have the breakfast in the youth hostel, the lunch in the student restaurant (where you will be able to choose between several hot meals) and the dinner (home made hot dishes, salads or sandiwiches) will be either in a hostel, either in some other place.
- We will use the public transport in the city and the train for the excursions