Fantastic flows and how to simulate them
Fluid mechanics often seem like pure magic. Things just happen to float or rise and sink in the air as if some invisible puppeteer is pulling his strings. But don’t let him fool you! He probably just mastered all the mysteries of fluid mechanics!
So, if you ever wondered how these big metal birds are flying, how gigantic water turbines are generating vast amounts of electricity to power your little smartphones or why racing cars are shaped that funny (believe it or not: Bernie Ecclestone’s weird fetishes only play a minor role in this one): Come to Vienna! We will reveal all our dark and secret knowledge to you, but only if you prove yourself capable of all the life-changing revelations that will come along!
Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, with the most aggressive language in the world! ;) Let’s explore imperial buildings, awesome countryside, Vienna’s nightlife and dance some Waltz! And what about some Schnitzel and Sachertorte? Don’t miss out!
If you want a small taste of Vienna, watch this 3-minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfKKjD0GSZo
Magic is awaiting you!
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Automotive Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Civil Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Logistics , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Maritime Management , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Transport Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Physical Fluid Mechanics: Course topics will be presented from a physically intuitive viewpoint and elucidative visual lab experiments with derivation of simple mathematical models. Course topics will range from fundamentals physical properties to daily life, environmental and industrial applications.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- You will discover and understand the fundamental laws and motions in fluid mechanics. You will gain knowledge about the partially strange behaviour of fluids. And you will learn what and how the invisible forces on objects derive from the motion of flows, where these forces come from and how to determine them.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- We will select participants based on their motivation letters and their answers to the application questions. We will also consider their study fields.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- You will sleep in a hostel in the beautiful city of Vienna. And probably a hut or camp on our weekend trip.
- Cooked by our lovely orgaNICErs :) Three meals a day will be provided, at least one of them warm.
- Public transport, walking