Synthesize your planet now, come on!
Synthesize your planet now – come on!
Synthetic biology is a multidisciplinary field with roots in biology, chemistry, biotechnology and bioinformatics. By using standardized genetical parts to create a blueprint for a biological system, the synthetic biology methods can be used for various purposes. Synthetic biology is thus involved in the field of medicine, for potential future fuel, for improving crops and is interesting for solving environmental problems – among other fields. Because of its broad usage and potential, it is important that the engineering fields follow in its development and find, upgrade or invent tools that make it easier to perform and accomplish projects in synthetic biology.
Your first thought when you hear that something is genetically modified is probably about genetically modified crops, but do you know how they are made? You will learn about this compared to how conventional/organic crops are developed and also get to learn about other applications of synthetic biology.
There will be lectures held by our very competent researchers in these fields and there will also be labs and study visits.
If you want to be one of the new generation of pioneers when it comes to the future of synthetic biology, you should not miss the opportunity to go to Uppsala, Sweden! As a bonus to what you will learn during the course, you will also get to experience the Swedish culture, everything from eating fermented fish ("surströmming") to spending the weekend in the middle of the ancient Swedish forest where you can use a sauna and row boats and swim in the nearby lake. So if you are enthusiastic about synthetic biology and also want to get a chance to get to know Swedish culture - APPLY! We promise that it is going to be the BEST way to spend a week in August!
Together we can synthesize an amazing world!!!
- Fields of activity:
- Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Biomedical Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Computational Sciences , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Materials Engineering , Pharmacy
- Content and topics:
- Synthetic biology and biosafety
- Learning goals and objectives:
- To learn about the different uses of synthetic biology and tackle the ethical issues related to it. The participants should learn to understand the basic science behind synthetic biology and be able to discuss the ethics. The participants should also have accuired knowledge about methods and advancements in this field of engineering
- Examination type:
- Final project and presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Based on motivation letter, topic interest and knowledge, answers to our questions and interest in Sweden and Swedish culture
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Hostel and summer residence
- Three meals a day, at least one hot
- Bus and walking. Transportation for free to all scheduled activities.