EnerGhentic: Energy Transition in the Urban Environment
Nowadays, we can’t really picture our lives without energy. It is simply impossible but it doesn’t always have a positive effect on our planet. So we, the future engineers, must ask ourselves how can we incorporate all our knowledge into improving the energy flow in our buildings and surroundings thus fighting against global warming? Let’s help heal the world and make it a greener and healthier place for everyone!
Experience the medieval city of Ghent after interesting lectures about the energy transition to a more sustainable future. Both building physics such as cooling and heating systems, and sustainable energy production will be addressed in this course. We have a team of passionate teachers who are excited to explain every little detail! Dare to come on this eye-opening 10 day adventure full of enthusiasm, laughter and good times. Belgian traditions and culture will be explored, you must taste our delicious fries, waffles and beers once in your life or you haven’t lived! Everyone in our LBG is eager to meet you, other open-minded students from all over Europe!
Don’t hesitate any further and apply! Let’s make the 10 days unforgettable and ENERGETIC!
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Civil Engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Mechanical Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Firstly, the problem will be stated. How do we use energy in buildings and their technical solutions where the city of Ghent will be a case that will be analyzed. The building of heating and cooling systems, as well as heat pump systems will be discussed in detail. The bigger picture will also be included in the subject matter: how do we produce sustainable energy, what are electrical grids and heating networks? Lastly, the investment and energy poverty will be looked at, as well as the more economical and social side of the story. Aside from all these lectures, we will visit a company that manufactures air conditioning and cooling systems.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The goal is to give the students a view on the way society needs to change for energy transition, on a technical level but also on a social level. A specific case will be analyzed which is beneficial for understanding the matter.
- Examination type:
- A two-page paper where the subject matter needs to be incorporated.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and (creative!) answers to the questions. Interest in topic. Aiming for a diverse group of nationalities and cultures.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Three meals per day, at least one hot meal. Coffee breaks between lecture/class.
- Most transport will be by foot or bike. Public transport will be used as well.