Born To Be Plastic
The pedagogical objective of this week's course is to present to students one of the major industries : the transformation of petrol into plastic. Apart from a general presentation of that domain, en emphasis will be put on two of the major operations : the distillation of petrol and the polymerisation of vinyl chloride monomer for the synthesis of PVC.
The visit of a refinery, a research center of the petrochemical industry and a production plant of PVC will serve as a support for the theoretical lessons, during which experts in that field will contribute. The recycling, energy savings and security aspects of this industry will also be adresed. Finally, half a day will be spent in a formation center for operators of the chemical industry and will enable some familiarization with handling a semi-industrial distillation operation.
- Content and topics:
- The course will contain an introduction on the plastic production chain as well as introductory lectures about the conception and dimensioning of 2 main operations (distillation and polymerisation). Students will also visit the refinery and research center of Total as well as a formation center in Chemical industries.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- This course should give a good overview of plastic production, with presentations and demonstrations done by various teachers from the university and from companies.
- Examination type:
- Oral presentation on a chosen topic, by groups
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation Letter and Questionnaire
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Youth Hostel in the center
- 1 hot meal per day + breakfast and sandwiches
- Public transport