Fuel me up! The BIO-path to the future!
What country proves year after year that it's the king/queen of brewing species of beer, of making the most delicious chocolate, of drawing Smurfs and other comic book characers (Hello Tintin), and of staging endless attempts at forming an actual government?
You all know the answer: it's Belgium!
This summer, we invite you to visit our lovable country by participating in BEST Ghent's summer course. Ghent is one of the world's most beautiful cities, placing third on National Geographic's Traveller city ranking and scoring very high on many others.
Our summer course -centering around chemistry and environmental research- will help you to save the world in your own way!
Discover the true power of bio-fuels!
Learn how to unleash it, in a clean and efficient way!
Expand your knowledge of chemistry along the way!
The course will be divided between informative theory sessions, and engaging practical sessions; the combination of which should give you a comprehensive understanding of the subject, so that you can apply it in jobs later, or whenever you need it! In addition, we'll visit various companies (or they'll visit us) and they will tell you about their own experiences and hard-won knowledge.
Along the way, we'll show you around Ghent and some other famous Belgian cities. And of course, we'll share our rich culture with you, and you'll get to taste some of our delicious beer and chocolate! As if that wasn't enough, Ghent's entertaining night-life and daily appeal will cement your many new friendships and bring you tons and tons of fun.
Don't miss this unforgettable opportunity! We'll make sure you don't regret it!
See you this summer!
- Fields of activity:
- Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Environmental Engineering , Petroleum Engineering , Power Engineering , Transport Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Sustainable energy sources and their extraction. Many of the courses will center around bio-diesel and bio-ethanol, and how to utilise them.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- By the end of the course, you will have an understanding of some of the most promising forms of sustainable energy. You'll also have some practical experience in creating it, and an appreciation of the challenges involved.
- Examination type:
- Quoted Exercise
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and answers on questions. Keeping in mind a 50%-50% gender distribution, as well as a good nationality diversity.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dormitory, weekend in tents or something similar.
- 3 meals a day are guaranteed, of which at least 1 (to 2) hot meals. We will also let you taste some of our Belgian specialties. (Chocolates, beers, Belgian (!) fries,...)
- We will explore Ghent by bicycle & boat! Also the public transport system of Belgium (train/tram/bus/...) will be ours to take.