Internet of Things: Anything, Anywhere, Anytime!
The future landscape of the Internet is changing at a dramatic speed, shaping our reality around new interaction concepts and ways of solving common problems. This is not something new, as the Internet always had the dual capacity of improving our life, and then making obsolete a great amount of processes, and habits.
The internet of things consists in the assimilation of everything that surrounds us, that we use, or that we do. Devices are becoming more intelligent as they become connected.
This course will have a full stack approach towards the concepts and technologies driving the Internet of Things, ranging from sensors, to IoT platforms and APIs, not forgetting the aspects related with communications, and security.
Despite all of the irresistible academic activities we have planned, you will also have the opportunity to visit the beautiful city of Aveiro and the surrounding areas, such as Praia da Barra and its charming beachside. You can also enjoy yourself at great parties, get to know amazing people from every corner of Europe and have lots of fun. Combine all this and you get the recipe for the greatest 9 days of your summer! Are you ready to accept this challenge?
- Fields of activity:
- Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Computer Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- - Programming of applications and services; - Software development for embedded devices; - Wireless communications, with focus Low Bit Rate, Low Power and Narrow Band technologies; - Service integration APIs, with focus in messaging concepts related to events and IoT; - Data Mining; - Privacy and Security concepts; - Sensor deployment and smart cities; - Use cases.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Participants in the course will: - Identify the major requirements, limitations and approaches when developing low power sensor applications; - Identity the characteristics of the development and communication technologies; - Know key communication concepts used for management and transport of data; - Know key concepts related to processing and storage of sensor data; - Be able to identify the advantages and privacy issues related with the massive use of sensors; - Have experience in integrating a small IoT driven project using Low Power communication mechanisms (LORA, SIGFOX, BLE).
- Examination type:
- Grading will take place along the course in the form of a qualitative measurement of the participation of each student, and by written mini tests who will assert the theoretical knowledge by the candidates.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Based on the motivation letter, topic interest, answers to our questions and overall creativity.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University dorms.
- 3 meals per day, at least one of them hot. Home cooked traditional portuguese food.
- Transportation will be guaranteed through the University bus and vans or organisers' cars.