Star Wars: Drones vs Satellites
Space remains vast and unexplored, so does our Earth system. It would take ages to explore them without the current technology. But what technology do we exactly use to monitor and observe Earth and assist our everyday activities from one end to another?
During this course, we will explore ways of observing Earth and making our everyday life easier, using drones and the bigger outer space drones we call satellites!
Apart from all of this amazing technology mentioned above along with the valuable knowledge you are going to gather during the academic part of the course, do we really need to mention what Chania has to offer as well?
Do you really want to miss this amazing opportunity to feel the warmth of the Greek sun, get lost in the infinite blue of the Mediterranean sea, experience first handed the true Greek hospitality and become one with the Halara spirit?
If not, we are waiting for you in one of the most beautiful and picturesque cities of Greece!
We will give you an advice,
apply now for Paradise!
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Civil Engineering , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Geodesy , Mechanical Engineering , Rural and Surveying Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Space technology in terms of products and services supports everyday applications from single user to the whole Earth level. Accordingly, Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) community has recently shown considerable growth, gradually embracing a wide range of applications. In order to migrate to the next generation of UAVs we need to deliver on demand, on-board, collaborative or autonomous functions, towards an intelligent UAV network transforming UAVs into decision operational systems. Yet, UAVs cannot be exclusively examined without the consideration of satellite Earth Observation (EO). Remote sensing satellites and micro-satellites provide multispectral images in varying temporal and spatial scales. Consequently, it is imperative to study the capabilities of Space and UAV systems in order to establish a holistic Earth Observation ecosystem. Through this seminar, Space and UAS related synergies are examined, while research specifics are delivered in order to acquire a strong basis for understanding the future of Earth observation under an application perspective. Applications refer to earth sciences, environmental monitoring, mapping, biodiversity, natural disasters, energy, trade, health, agriculture, cultural heritage, transportation, social sciences. The course introduces satellite GNSS and Remote Sensing technologies along with unmanned systems (aerial, land, underwater) in terms of their hardware, components, design, construction, implementation, programming. AI and image analysis will be also incorporated to UAS and demonstrate high-end capabilities. Through hands-on labs, demonstrations, drone piloting from all participants and an international innovation proposal submitted from student teams, the course is excessively interactive and multi-functional.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The main goal of this course is to introduce the basics of Space and UAV technologies for everyday applications, spanning from the Earth system to the individual citizen. Therefore, the basic objectives to be reached include: Introduction on satellite constellations including Remote Sensing Earth Observation and Global Navigation Satellite Systems. Introduction on Unmanned Aerial Systems from the design phase to implementation. Investigation of the basics of UAS autonomy, navigation, on-board and real-time processing, swarm intelligence. Implementation basics including Artificial Intelligence/Deep Learning, Image Analysis algorithms for UAS. Presentation of a series of applications including location based services, search & rescue, environmental monitoring, disaster assessment, 3D mapping, health, etc. Mastering through hands-on experience, labs and demonstrations. Provision of a business oriented approach to design Space/UAS related innovative applications in our everyday lives.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, Answer to questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Dorms or Hostel or Organizers' Houses
- University's Restaurant or Homecooked food (breakfast and two meals per day, at least one of them hot and cooked)
- Public Transportation(at no extra costs), Organizers' cars, On foot