GeoLiegy will be Mine
Mineral resources have been exploited for ages in mines and carriers. When the remaining resources become too low or too disperse to be economically extracted, the mine closes. Mine closure represents an important stage of the life cycle of a mine and challenge for the mining industry. While mining uses only temporary land, a bad post-mining management can lead to hard consequences in the long term. Different kinds of risks and problems may grow from mine closure: harmful surface, modifications of underground water flow, toxic element remobilization, surface instability, emissions of dangerous and toxic gas, polluted mine drainage? Management of mine tailings represents also a big challenge for the mining industry.
During the event, you'll also have the chance to discover Belgium, Liege and other beautiful cities like Bruges and Brussels, capital of Europe! Of course, you'll taste our various, numerous beers, cheeses and ... chocolates! Without forgetting the friendly Belgian spirit and our crazy parties!
- Fields of activity:
- Agronomics/Forestry , Applied Sciences , Civil Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Geology , Mining/Mineral Resources Engineering , Petroleum Engineering , Rural and Surveying Engineering , Territory Engineering
- Content and topics:
- mine closure and post-mining management, hydrogeology, environmental aspects of industrial and mining activities, environmental geology, natural risks management
- Learning goals and objectives:
- This course gives an overall view of post-mining management. We want the student to become more aware of the different risks linked to a bad management of mine closure.
- Examination type:
- Project with oral presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- The selection will be based on the participant's motivation letter and on the equilibrium in the participants' origin.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University Residence on the campus, with single room for everyone.
- University Canteen. The organisers will also show their cooking talents! (Minimum 3 meals per day)
- Bus and train for the visits and activities.