Bite me! - there is science in my food
You enjoy eating?
You enjoy cooking?
You know what happens with to your ingredient while cooking? ? No?!
Then Graz is the place to go! This February you have the opportunity to get to know what is going on when you prepare and consume food from a ?gourmet chemist?s? point of view! Get to know the chemical and physical processes that happen during cooking and learn how to take advantage of them in order to prepare your perfect steak! Discover what food does to our senses and gain some skills in analyzing taste and smell.
Learn about the rich Austrian cuisine ? yeah we have more to offer than Manner Waffles ? feel and taste the large history of Austria and all its influences! Does that sound tasty to you? Then apply now, for a delicious experience in the student capital of Austria, where Austrian tradition meets modern life!
See you in February :)
- Fields of activity:
- Agronomics/Forestry , Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Automotive Engineering , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Biomedical Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Computational Sciences , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Industrial Management , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mathematics , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Medicine/Dental Medicine , Multimedia and Communication Design , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Optics/Optometry , Pharmacy , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Rural and Surveying Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics , Territory Engineering , Textile Engineering & Technology
- Content and topics:
- This short course is a multidisciplinary approach providing basic information to students what?s going on, when we are preparing and consuming food. You will gather theoretical knowledge in class and field trips as well as practical exercise in a lab/kitchen. The following topics will be covered: Human senses and the perception of food Basics about sensory analysis Analytical approaches to measure taste and smell Chemical Reactions during food processing Heat transfer and temperature-dependent transformations Foams, colloids and emulsions Who wants to get fooled by the food industries?
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Get an overview of the chemical aspects during processing of food. Knowledge on food analysis and human senses in food perception should also be gained.
- Examination type:
- written exam
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- The main criteria for the selection of our participants will be the motivation letter and the answers to our questions, whereas creativity is very important. Furthermore we will take gender and nationalities into consideration, to get a maximum diversity between countries and a equal number of girls and boys.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- You will be hosted in a student dormitory or some similar institution.
- We will have some lunch in the local restaurants and the canteen, all other meals will be cooked and served by your helpful organisers! :)
- Public transport, walking, bus.