De-carbonize me, de-carbonize you
Come to Brussels to follow a great course, and try to create a Fully Decarbonized European Power System!
All around the world, power systems are being decarbonized, to face environmental and sustainability problems. Challenges are real, and you will learn about solutions!
Come 8 days to the amazing capital of Europe (aka Brussels) and feel its BEST spirit!
- Fields of activity:
- Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Towards a fully decarbonized European power system: challenges and solutions Supporting this energy transition while ensuring the desired level of security of supply is challenging for power systems for two main reasons. Firstly, most of the renewable energy sources are variable, which means that the available renewable energy is not always sufficient to supply consumers in electricity. This is obviously the case for solar PV energy which cannot help directly to cover the evening peak load in winter in most European countries. Secondly, most of the renewable energy sources are based on power electronics and do not have thus the same dynamic behavior of classical power plants based on synchronous machines, which means that the stability of the power system can be difficult to maintain. However, solutions do exist, such as storage, demand response, synthetic inertia, synchronous condensers, etc. The course will be structured in three main parts. A first part will be devoted to power system fundamentals, including power system economics and power system stability. A second part will then provide an overview of the main challenges and the related solutions linked to the massive integration of renewable energy sources in power systems.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- During a third part organized under the form of projects, students will be asked to propose a cost-efficient solution to address a specific challenge.
- Examination type:
- Projects and oral or written examination
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational letter and answers to the questions. Show us what's your interest into this topic, this city and this event!
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- JES Sleep Inn Youth Hostel - During all the event
- Three meals a day, At least a warm meal every day - Homemade cooked food (with love)
- Public transportation and walking. SNCB Train or autocar to do some visits.