Take me to the Stars
Click on the image!
Modern astronomy has made some astonishing discoveries - how stars burn and how black holes form, has shown galaxies from the edge of the universe and killer rocks right next door. Where the elements come from and how the expanding universe is accelerating. But how do we know all that? The truth is that astronomy would be impossible without technology, and every advance in astronomy is really an advance in technology. But the technology by itself is not enough. We have to apply it with a sense of fun and discovery in order to unlock the secrets of the Universe!
Fun, you say? That's right! Coimbra and Portugal can also offer you sunny beaches, a Mediterranean diet, an awesome culture, and a secular city of students! All provided by the LBG Coimbra, where the "Work Hard, Party Harder" motto is taken very seriously.
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Computational Sciences , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Mathematics , Mechanical Engineering , Multimedia and Communication Design , Optics/Optometry , Physics/Physics Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- Introduction to the Astronomy theme and associated technology;
- Brief historical note about Astronomy and instrumentation evolution;
- Observation and instrumentation of the following topics: Solar/Stars, Solar system, Galaxies, remaining Universe;
- Cosmology: Universe origin and evolution;
- Current state of the investigation and European projects;
- The future of the area;
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Participants will learn how it's possible to collect and interpret the big data that opens doors to the possibility of scientific discoveries and to get a better perception of the Universe. The course provides a quantitative introduction to the physics of the solar system, stars, the interstellar medium, the galaxy, and the universe, as determined from a variety of astronomical observations and models. But at the end, have fun!
- Examination type:
- Group oral presentation about the course subjects.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivational Letter where you tell us why are you the BEST candidate, considering your interest in the topic and in the Portuguese culture, your energy to learn and have fun, and originality. Also, answering to the three questions below!
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University dorms, or youth hostel. There will be beds (of course!), hot water, and possibly wi-fi (but we prefer human interaction!)
- Breakfast, coffebreaks, hot lunch or hot dinner (or both! It depends on the schedule) are fully guaranteed by the Course Organizers. Some meals at the university canteens. Others made by our chefs!
- Bus, foot, car... you know, the usual!