Steaming energy! From the core of the earth to your coffeemaker
In a world filled with constant fear of global warming, the race to find renewable energy resources is at its peak. One of these sources is right under our feet, with it's origin at the core of our planet! The topic of this course will be this resource: Geothermal energy.
Visits to leading companies will give participants an opportunity to get to know the field first hand. These companies are constantly researching, expanding and spreading their knowledge in the field of geothermal energy, abroad as well as in Iceland. The course will be divided into three parts, geothermal research, geothermal power plants and environmental effects, diving deeper into each part at a time.
Come to the "land of the ice and snow with the midnight sun where the hot springs blow" and learn why geothermal energy is one of the most exciting energy sources of the future. Learn about the Icelandic experience and how the Icelandic people have made use of it it through the centuries. You can even experience it on your own by going to one of our world famous geothermal swimming pools. So, don't hesitate, apply for the course, learn about this promising energy source and join such great men as the Nobel peace prize winner Barack Obama to acknowledge it's importance!
Reykjavik is waiting for you!
- Fields of activity:
- Civil Engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Geology , Mechanical Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Geothermal Energy and it's subtopics, geophysics, geochemistry, geothermal heating and power plants, environmental effects, etc.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Participants will be able to understand where geothermal energy is originated, how it is extracted, converted into electricity and what effects it has on the environment.
- Examination type:
- Written exam
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and academic experience
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Three meals a day, at least one warm
- Bus and walking