Smells like Green Spirit!
Have you ever thought that sunlight, wind, rain, tides, waves, biomass and geothermal heat could cover our every-day energy requirements? Have you ever thought that we could save the planet by replacing conventional fuels with Renewable energy in electricity generation, hot water/space heating, motor fuels, and rural (off-grid) energy services? Nirvana, once talked about "the man who sold the world"... Be the one who will save it! How? Just apply for this awesome BEST Patras summer course!!!! Learn the most recent trends and technological breakthroughs of Renewable Energy Systems, especially of Wind Energy and Photovoltaic Technologies and obtain valuable knowledge of Solar engineering, that will enable you to develop simple techno-economical analysis of photovoltaics and wind energy installations and storage systems.
And where's better sunlight than Greece? Bask in the sun of Patras, enjoy wonderful beaches, let this light, summer wind and glamorous, summer sunlight relax you and fill you with energy for our pulsating nightlife and parties and get ready for a "halara" summertime to remember!!!
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Automotive Engineering , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Biomedical Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Computational Sciences , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Economics/Business Administration/Marketing , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Geology , Industrial Engineering , Industrial Management , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mathematics , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Medicine/Dental Medicine , Mining/Mineral Resources Engineering , Multimedia and Communication Design , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Optics/Optometry , Petroleum Engineering , Pharmacy , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Rural and Surveying Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics , Territory Engineering , Textile Engineering & Technology , Transport Engineering , Veterinary Medicine
- Content and topics:
- Theory will include lectures related to: (a) a recent status and overview of the Renewable Energy Systems (Photovoltaics, Wind Generators, Solar Thermal Systems, Biomass, Hydropower and Geothermal Energy) and energy storage systems (b) An Introduction to Solar Engineering (c) A more detailed presentation of Photovoltaic and Wind Energy Technologies Laboratory practices and interactive materials will include (a) Electrical Characterization of photovoltaic panels and energy production measurements from PV panels of different technologies (Polycrystalline, Thin Films, Heterojunction). Measurements will be performed in the PV roof installation in the Dept. of Chemical Engineering (b) Measurements of Solar Irradiation and Wind Velocity, Direction and Energy (c) Laboratory Scale plasma deposition of semiconductive materials for Photovoltaics (d) Computer design of autonomous hybrid (Solar – Wind) energy systems. Target will be the design of zero-energy off-grid house in an area of students choice. (e) Visit to local companies and university labs with similar activities.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Introduction of the participants to the most recent trends and technological breakthroughs of Renewable Energy Systems, developing simple techno-economical analysis of photovoltaics and wind energy installations and storage systems suitable for covering energy requirements of small buildings.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Interest in the topic, motivation letter, Questions, Prior knowledge.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University's dormitories.
- University's restaurant, restaurants in the city and homecooked by organizers (breakfast and two meals per day at least one of them hot).
- Bus, taxi, organisers' cars.