BEST Materials for Energy Technologies
Do you want to solve the energy problems of the world? Are materials close to your heart? During this course you will find out the importance of materials in energy engineering!
You will learn about currently used materials in the field of energy, greatest challenges and latest research and development achievements. In addition to lectures you will get to work in groups with laboratory tasks.
Furthermore, you will learn what kossu, jallu and perkele stand for, explore Tampere and the surroundings, experience sauna, long Finnish summer nights and have the full experience of student life in the greatest student town in Finland.
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Automotive Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Power Engineering
- Content and topics:
- - Energy policy, environmental challenges - Energy efficiency: light and strong materials, thermal insulation materials. - Boiler technology and related materials. Combustion and gasification and related materials. Corrosion and erosion resistant materials and coatings. Challenges of use of biomass - Renewable energy: materials for solar and wind energy. - Fuel cell (PEM and SOFC) and related material challenges - Materials for storage of electricity, primary and secondary batteries
- Learning goals and objectives:
- After the course the student recognizes principles of processes changing energy from one form to another and identifies material properties to energy. The student can also identify critical material properties limiting the energy efficiency. The student will have knowledge of latest research and development achievements and challenges of renewal energy technologies and material challenges at field of solar energy, fuel cells, bioenergy, wind energy and energy storage systems. The student is also capable to do poster presentation at selected topic, gather the information from different sources and present it at seminar.
- Examination type:
- Group presentation based on project work
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Previous studies, open motivation letter and answers to questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dormitory (3 big rooms)
- Breakfast in the dormitory - Lunch in the canteen - Dinner in the dormitory/restaurant/barbecue.
- Public transportation when needed