Light as a feather, Strong as a rock
Ever wonderded how to reduce the weight of a construction? Ever wondered how inflatable beams can replace a bridge? And how to achieve a sustainable and energy efficient design which is as strong as the muscles from Brussels at the same time? Do you want an answer on the everlasting question "What is in these balls of steel"? Then this course is the way to go and Brussels is the place to be for you.
You will get to know the impressive architectural tricks that bars use to keep more than 2000 beers on their shelfs, in a theoretical and practical way.
- Fields of activity:
- Architecture , Civil Engineering , Materials Engineering , Textile Engineering & Technology
- Content and topics:
- For students who are enthusiastic when hearing the words deployable and transformable structures, membrane structures, tensegrity and inflatable structures. All of these key words are related to lightweight structures with an optimal choice in geometric shapes.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- At the end of the course the student will be able to construct and design lightweight, transformable inflatable structures.
- Examination type:
- Practical examination in groups for a jury.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- To apply to this course you need to be a student at a university and a basic interest in material mechanics, architectural interests,... Studies in this fields are advised. In addition to this the motivation letter will be used for selecting the participants.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Participants will stay in shared rooms at a dormitory from and close to the university.
- Breakfast, lunch & dinner will be provided at the university, including at least one warm meal a day.
- Legs and public transportation will be used.