The Next Ice Age? Are You Prepared?
The Arctic. A vast, hostile region of permafrost, sporadic weather patterns, icy waters and giant polar bears. The Arctic is heating up to become the newest political hot topic. Countries want to open new arctic-region shipping lanes and move in to exploit the vast amount of resources located there. Does that send a shiver down your spine, or does it sound like a wicked cool place? Could you overcome its hostile conditions and actually work and live there? Are you ready for the Ice Age?
Norway is known for being an expert in Marine Technology, but now we are taking a step further to embrace the Arctic. Now YOU are all invited to experience AND CONQUER the challenges this hostile region presents:
> Fully realize the power of the cold, and what we must do to live and survive in the northern winter conditions!
> Learn about sustainable travel through the northern icy waters!
> Tackle problems ice breaker ships experience every day, such as rapid ice-buildup and arctic accidents!
> Investigate the importance of autonomous operations and unmanned submarines in arctic conditions!
> Experience challenges the energy industry is facing to build oil & gas and wind platforms in the forbidding Arctic!
> Understand how sensitive the arctic ecosystem is, and how devastating pollution and oil spills can be!
> Yell ICEBERG DEADAHEAD, and live to tell the tale!
This is a land of wonderful outdoor experiences and a deep, rich maritime history. Take a walk through the beautiful natural landscapes and along the fjords Get prepared to rock out Norwegian-style in the awesome student city of Trondheim, full of local culture, architecture and northern flair. Bring on the authentic Norwegian cabin-in-the-woods experience.
What are you waiting for? The next ice age? Apply now, and when it comes you will have the survival knowledge to save the human race!
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Civil Engineering , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Petroleum Engineering
- Content and topics:
- The course will provide a comprehensive look at the working and living requirements of the cold Arctic and issues with arctic travel and pollution. Students will be tasked to investigate marine technology design to meet these harsh conditions through lectures, case studies and company visits.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The participants shall develop an understanding of the arctic environment and the technological requirements for marine vessels that travel there. They will learn of specific problems that the industry faces today, and will apply their own knowledge and ingenuity to develop solutions.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation Letter, Answers to Questions, Academic Background, 20 years of age, willing to share your CV with our corporate sponsors, and love for the North!
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Nordic Cabins
- 3 Meals per day, at least one warm, + snacks. Expect some authentic Norwegian Dishes!
- Public Transportation