What is communication? Baby don't wire me, don't wire me, no more!
Network simulation is a technique where a program models the behavior of a telecommunication network.
A "network simulator" is a piece of software or hardware that predicts the behavior of telecommunication network, without an actual network being present.
Simulators typically support the most popular protocols in use today, such as WLAN, Wi-Max, UDP, and TCP.
Simulators are widely used for research to develop new protocols and in general, networks and telecommunication systems.
The ns-3 simulator is an open-source, discrete-event network simulator targeted primarily for research and educational use.
During the "ns3 tutorial" inside the course will be given to each participant the information necessary to:
1) download and build a copy of ns-3;
2) simulate a few wired and wireless network scenario;
3) interpret simulation outputs.
Finally, some experience will be carried out using wireless sensor network.
We assume that participants have some familiarity with Object Oriented programming languages, TCP/IP protocol stack, network programming and fundamentals of telecomunication.
- Fields of activity:
- Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Multimedia and Communication Design , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The proposed lectures and laboratory activities give the opportunity to have a background knowledge about simulation of wireless networks and communicatin systems.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Participants will be selected for their motivation shown in the motivation letter and in the answers
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University canteen and provided by organizers. 3 meals, at least one hot meal a day
- Public transport and private cars according to the needs